Friday, March 11, 2016

When I Was

There was something there and I
Can't put to words or even try
The way it made me feel was something special
Something that I couldn't hold
A feeling that seemed very old
Something that could purge my very essence

There was something there and if
You'd felt it you would soon notice
That life's a little better than we make it
And every time I'm thinking back
To days when things seemed so on track
I lose the shame of seeing my soul naked

These days I am so withdrawn
With no one here to keep me calm
And nothing to keep me from feeling anxious
I couldn't say how much I missed
The helping hands from the abyss
The open sky above the trees so spacious

Today I finally figured out
There's no escape from my self doubt
Except to just accept the way I am
And even if I get so down
I cannot bring myself around
I know those helping hands will let me stand

I don't need to apologize
For flaws I see with my own eyes
There's no one else that sees me like I do
And if I can accept myself
Learn to accept a little help
Then I can finally start to see the truth

The truth is that there is no end
And darkness isn't foe, but Friend
And we are all connected to each other
There's happiness we can obtain
We have to keep each other sane
I will try to let my heart discover

How to feel again.